Are You a Beer Snob?

I love good beer, that’s obvious… but is my appreciation for superior suds turning me from a craft beer enthusiast to a straight up beer snob? Let me set the scene for you…

My sister and I are out to dinner at a local BBQ joint. Within seconds of being seated, our server arrives to take our drink order. As I look to the beer menu to see what my options are, I am immediately disappointed with the all macro selection. “Do you have any beer that’s not listed here?” I ask, hoping maybe they’ll have one of the local brews on tap. Sadly, no… what I see, is what I get.

I tell the kid I’ll have a Blue Moon, but I’m not happy about it…

He leaves us to peruse the menu and I feel compelled to share my displeasure with Emily. “I don’t get it, all these beers taste the same? Why not offer something with a little flavor?” She looks at me without raising her head, “Really?” she asks sarcastically, and it hits me — I’m becoming a beer snob.

Soon enough, our server is back with our drinks. He sets the bottle down and I am mortified to see that he has brought me… a frosted glass. I feel my cheeks flush as I quickly debate whether or not to ask for a different glass. Ultimately I decide against it, “It’s just a Blue Moon.” I tell myself, as if I need to justify my decision.

So what do you think? Am I a snob, or just a connoisseur? What about other scenarios? Am I wrong to be annoyed when the waitress rolls her eyes after I ask for a glass? Is a high level of service (and/or knowledge) too much to expect when I’m paying $6.50 a pint?

Blue Moon

Answer these questions to see if you’re at risk of becoming a beer snob:

• Do you drink beer from a tulip glass?
  • Do you know what a Ciceroneยฎ is?
  • Can you name 3 different varieties of hops?
  • Do you smell your beer before you drink it?
  • Do you only drink craft beers?
  • Do you know who really brews Blue Moon?
  • Do you know what the term lacing refers to?
  • Do you read beer blogs?
  • Have you ever homebrewed?
  • Are you still reading this article?

If you answered “Yes” to 3 or more of the questions above you are at risk of becoming a beer snob. Cheers! If you have your own stories of snobbery, please leave them in the comments so I don’t feel so bad… you guys do this too right?

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: The Spirit of Craft Beer

Author:Amy Ellsworth

Amy Ellsworth is The Craft Beer Girl. Follow her as she discovers the world of craft beer through brewery tours, beer festivals, reviews and homebrewing. You can also find her on Twitter, Facebook, and .

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

20 Comments on “Are You a Beer Snob?”

1. Eric Newcomer
    February 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM #

When that happens to me I usually order red wine rather than drink bad beer…

2. Leo Lovely
    May 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM #

Need to add this one to the beer snob list:

So you roll your eyes when you ask your server what beers they have and the server responds “We have everything! Bud, Bud Light, Lite, Coors Lite…..” My wife excuses herself and runs to the bathroom.. If the server asks “what are you looking for”? I usually lose it. I sometimes respond something to the effect “I would like a Three Floyd’s Dark Lord Imperial Stout. Could you please check to see if you have it”? Yep, I’m a beer snob!

3. Alex
    June 3, 2012 at 6:19 AM #

You seriously wanted to return a frosted glass?

A lot of people say, life is too short to not enjoy craft beer/good whisky/excellent gin, whatever.

Honestly, I think life is too short for the wasted breath snobs go out of their way to complain that a giant restaurant chain doesn’t serve their favourite beer that is impossible to find at any store other than that ‘fantastic’ place, two hours from their house tucked away in the hardest to find spot in a town with 700 people in it.

Seriously, I go with the flow. When I’m at home, I break out the brandy snifter for my Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I go out of my way to clean and dry my glass with just the right amount of (clean, filtered) water in it to help stifle the massive head you get from even a proper pour of a wheat beer. I chill my martinis to perfection and only stir so I don’t ‘bruise’ the gin (fancy term for the oxidation that shaking provides the gin and simple chemical compounds in it, which when oxidized, turn slightly bitter).

So yeah. I know where you are coming from. But if you want Something perfect, do it yourself at home. Large restaurants and bars aren’t going to go out of their way to cater to your perfect tastes. I always love drinking at home. Cheaper, I make everything to my liking. But when I’m at fucking Jack Asstors, I take the Budweiser and frosted glass and drink it.

And by the way – a frosted glass will NOT have a major detrimental effect on any beer. It will NOT cool the beer down as much as you think, smoothing over the subtleties that cold drinks will have. It really, really won’t alter the taste, especially if they’re pouring from a tap r giving you a can, chances are, the amount of cold they already have will have the most effect. If you’re worrying about the cold or condensation stifling a good pour and subsequent head on your beer, so the taste will be lacking because you can’t smell it as good because the head isnt there, well… Adjust; pour more aggressively, and you’ll get a nice head. A frosted glass honestly won’t change much.

Maybe if it’s really fucking thick cut crystal that’s been chilled in one icy motherfucker for 24 hours, it’ll have the slightest effect in chilling your beer and keeping it cold. Damn, what a shake that the Blue Moons subtleties are only slightly masked.

Seriously, I love corona, or jack Daniels, or Smirnoff. Theyre cheap and easy to drink. I like that, and so does my wallet. On a hot day, I don’t want a fucking peat smoky iodine tasting ashy fireplace in my mouth that my Islay scotch provides, I’ll have a sweet bourbon on ice (icing whisky is the penultimate sin amongst whisky lovers). And then, other times I do want a complex oatmeal stout or whisky.

Nothing wrong with enjoying something, no matter if it’s complex or just kind of crappy but cheap and easy to drink. My advice – don’t send the fucking glass back. You’re at a restaurant with waiters and waitresses who want to serve food and pour you a drink or beer, not a specially hosted, climate controlled, whisky tasting seminar with Jim Murray and the ghost of Michael Jackson (the beer and whisky guy, not the singing guy).

4. June 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM #

I can’t tell you how many times the exact same thing happens to me. I especially hate it when I get served a frosted glass in a microbrewery. I just roll my eyes and tell them I want one without.

5. liz
    May 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM #

I went to a party last week and opted against beerpong because it was played with bud. Ive also been known to show up to holidays and such with my own 6pack cause I know im not gonna like my choices…. My family laughs at me

• liz
      May 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM #

Note to self..proof read when typing on this silly phone…

6. The Wookie
    April 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM #

The follow-up post needs to ask “Do you hate being a beer snob?” I answered yes to every question and while I loved my journey into the craft beer universe I sometimes find myself in a places that make me long for simpler days and simpler beers. Enough with the cappucino oak aged wet hopped sour douche bag beers …. Every once in a while I just want to sit on the beach with a Corona with a lime. Is that wrong?

• April 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM #

I feel the same way! I love learning about beer but I don’t always care that much about proper serving (type of glass, proper temperature, etc.) and I just want to kick back drink a beer!

7. April 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM #

Love this!

8. Steve from Rockford
    April 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM #

Looks like a Famous Daves! They actually have some pretty good BBQ, especially for a chain. I would not say you are a snob, its hard to drink BMC when you finally “get it”. The first beer I ever drank was a Sierra Nevada (my dad raised me right). I quickly learned to love it and haven’t looked back since. That being said, I will not turn down a beer if offered.

Occasionally, I will get a craving for an American Lager. But, there are plenty of craft options to quench that thirst. Around here, Capital Breweries “Supper Club” is maybe a dollar more then BMC and tastes 10 times better. Great “Lawnmower” beer.

9. Kid Carboy Jr.
    April 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM #

I would have thought the fact that you write a beer blog would have turned you on to your burgeoning snobbery a while before this scenario took place.

10. Steve
    April 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM #

My wife informed me that I was a snob when I said that Sam Adam’s was “pedestrian” and I wanted something more exciting when we were out to eat.

11. April 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM #

What if my answer to every questions is “yes”?

12. Jim
    April 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM #

I’m a proud beer snob, but I still enjoy a PBR and sometimes a Miller lite, but I’m no Blue Moon fan.

13. March 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM #

Oh dear God, I’m at risk of becoming a beer snob!!!

14. J Wane
    March 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM #

Love the article. Find myself in the same position many times. Drink 5 or 6 Blue Moons and they’ll taste better :)